October 11, 2017 08:33
ATHENS, Oct. 10 (Xinhua) -- East-West cooperation under umbrellas, such as the Belt and Road Initiative proposed by China, is needed more than ever to effectively deal with the 21st century challenges, political leaders and representatives of the business world said during a forum here on Tuesday.
During the two-day EU-Eurasia-China business summit, distinguished speakers and attendees underlined the need for wider and deeper cross border dialogue and collaboration to promote growth and prosperity for all peoples.
Greek President Prokopis Pavlopoulos called the Belt and Road Initiative a strong platform of cooperation between Europe and Asia. "There is no room for clashes. Through cooperation between civilizations we should open the way to economic growth," Pavlopoulos addressed the event.
European Commissioner for Migration, Home Affairs and Citizenship Dimitris Avramopoulos said, "In a globalized world our responses to contemporary problems should be global."
Sino-Greek cooperation in many sectors in recent years following the investment at Piraeus port was highlighted by several Greek ministers and foreign guests as a shining example of win-win collaboration.
Stergios Pitsiorlas, Deputy Minister of Economy and Development, noted Greece sees China's attempt to address the great challenges of globalization.
"Europe and Asia need each other more than ever to tackle the 21st century challenges. China's willingness to enhance ties with the West, with Europe, and create a major corridor of peace, friendship and communication between peoples is very positive for us," Pitsiorlas stressed.
Jianzhong Lu is the chairman of the Silk Road Chamber of International Commerce (SRCIC), an international NGO founded two years ago.
"Building bridges from east to west is our common mission. People-to-people understanding is the foundation. SRCIC hopes to engage more international organizations and business elites in the Belt and Road construction," he said.
The Belt and Road Initiative is intended to improve the infrastructure of sea and land routes to drive trade and investment flows between the east and the west to the benefit of all sides, noted Jemal Inaishvili, president of the Confederation of Asia Pacific Chambers of Commerce and Industry.
"We should reflect how we can turn our shared Eurasian continent into an area of peace, prosperity and development," said Vladimir Chizhov, permanent representative of the Russian Federation to the EU.
- • Companies should seize Belt and Road opportunities: Cushman and Wakefield
- • Belt and Road Int'l center officially launched at University of Cambridge
- • PPP has great potential in Belt and Road cooperation
- •China's Belt and Road Initiative contributes to realizing dream of Asian Century: Nepali experts
- • Belt and Road Initiative a game changer on international cooperation
- 1 China's economic transformation opens new opportunities for multinationals -- GE China CEO
- 2 Belt&Road Initiative showing tangible benefits in Europe: experts
- 3 B&R Initiative to make world "much richer": Serbian president
- 4 3rd "Made in China" exhibition to be held in Qatar in November
- 5 China's innovative farming brings healthier food
- 6 CSCEC’s overseas revenues top USD10 bln in 2016
- 7 B&R Initiative offers unique opportunity for development: Lebanese expert
- 8 Continued innovation to help China avoid middle-income trap: HSBC
- 9 China could sustain 6 pct growth rate in medium term: U.S. expert
- 10 EU-China cooperation vital as U.S. unilateralism writ large: EU expert